With the NFL season approaching, I have been ranking the top 32 quarterbacks in the league. This list is based on how I see these players entering the 2018-19 season. The last segment can be found here.
*Note: Patrick Mahomes and every rookie QB will not be included on this list due to not having seen enough of them on an NFL field.
16. Derek Carr – Oakland Raiders: After being an MVP candidate in 2016, Carr disappointed last season. We’ll see if he can bounce back under first-year head coach Jon Gruden.
15. Deshaun Watson – Houston Texans: Watson was electric when he was on the field for the Texans. If he can perform at the same level over a bigger stretch, he’ll climb up this list.
14. Jared Goff – Los Angeles Rams: Goff is coming off an excellent bounce-back campaign after struggling as a rookie. We’ll see how much better he can get in Year 3.
13. Alex Smith – Washington Redskins: Alex Smith was an MVP candidate over the first half of last season. Can he sustain that level of success for an entire year with a new team in a new conference?
12. Kirk Cousins – Minnesota Vikings: Check the numbers, Kirk Cousins isn’t the reason why the Redskins have missed the playoffs the past two seasons. His presence on the Vikings should make them the favorites to win the NFC.
11. Cam Newton – Carolina Panthers: Cam could be more consistent, but look at the supporting cast he’s been forced to work recently. Not many players are more explosive than the former MVP winner.
10. Matt Ryan – Atlanta Falcons: His performance this past season wasn’t as impressive as his MVP campaign in 2016, but Ryan still remains one of the more reliable quarterbacks in the league,
9. Ben Roethlisberger – Pittsburgh Steelers: Most QB rankings have Big Ben ranked higher than this. However, Roethlisberger has the luxury of playing with a strong offensive line and arguably the best WR and RB tandem in football. Most, if not all of the QBs I have ranked ahead of him have put up similar if not better numbers with inferior supporting casts. Nonetheless, Roethlisberger remains a good player.